Both Birding or Birdwatching are equivalent terms. The words refer to the interest and passion on watching/sighting birds. For our case, we focus on developing these activities in Toledo province and Castilla La Mancha region.
These activities are based upon different strategies and techniques for approaching and recognizing species through feathers, flight, sing, the habitat they dwell or the season when they do it…Ornithologists, naturalists or just lovers and fans of Nature, are the people integrating the main core of this outdoors leisure modality.
Given its birdlife and nature richness, Spain is a paradise for practicing Birding throughout the year, though in central area of our country spring and fall are the best seasons, due to good climate conditions and because spectacular trips of winter migratory birds from all over Europe take place then. Iberian Peninsula has a privileged position in our old continent and is the most frequented birds passing place. Anyway, depending on the bird you attempt to observe, winter (for winter birds, specially in wet areas) and summer (for prey birds in flight) are very good seasons too.
FOR THE APPROPRIATE ENJOYMENT OF THIS LEISURE ACTIVITY, SOME MINIMUM EQUIPMENT IS NECESSARY:
- Guide or instructor who can properly lead the customer or fan, by the most quick, safe and comfortable way, to the adequate birdwatching areas depending on the season and his/her requirements, and interpret the natural parameters to make the most rich and interesting comments and observations.
- Observation equipment: telescopes with tripod, binoculars, birdlife guidebooks, notebooks…
- Proper vehicle for the countryside
- Photographic equipment: camera, lenses. Knowledge about hides
- A not less important issue: an overdose of patience and proper behaviour (quiet and discreet) Presence or absence of birdlife is extremely affected by lots of factors, but specially by human presence, so every birding day is different: some might be lucky, some might be not…